Tuesday, September 4, 2007

They Were 11

Initially I couldn’t get past the Star Trek vibe I was getting of it but I decided to ignore it (and leave it to some uber-Trekkie to compile a list of similarities and decide who ripped off who etc). The 80’s vibe is a harder one to ignore – the drab colours, sketchy animation and out-dated attitudes might be a bit of a turn off for some but having watched most of Gundam ZZ recently I was well acclimatised.

It was quite an easy watch on the whole largely due to the steady pace of proceeding (only broken by the John Hughes style comedy interval accompanied by equally painful 80s synth). The “who-dunnit” element was enjoyable without ever really producing any edge of the seat moments. Likewise the “twist” at the end was hardly earth-shattering.

I found Frol to quite irritating. How such a character could end up being an elite student is beyond me. Also the romance, although novel [spoiler]due to the gender issues[/spoiler], was never really explored enough to truly give impact to the ending.

I’m nitpicking though. All in all it was entertaining and I’d easily watch it again.

No comments:

 
Blog Directory - Blogged